How Much Money Has HBO Made from Game of Thrones?
When you play the Game of Thrones, you win, or you die.
After 8 seasons spanning 73 episodes and bringing together 566 characters, HBO have spent an estimated $1,460,600,000 to bring George R.R. Martin’s vision to the screen. But has this investment made them richer than the Iron Bank of Braavos or will they have to emulate the Lannister’s in always paying their debts?
ThinkMoney have played the ‘Game of Numbers’ to find out just how profitable the sprawling epic has been to HBO ahead of the season finale. By analysing viewing figures, subscriptions costs and production costs, they found that:
- Whilst the budgets of Game of Thrones have steadily increased over 8 seasons, due to the huge popularity of the show it now only costs HBO $2.37 a viewer per season.
- With a total show budget of $1.5 Billion, the show has earned $3.1 Billion through HBO subscriptions alone.
- All eight seasons, spanning 73 episodes and bringing together 566 characters, cost HBO a mere $30.90 per viewer.
- Game of Thrones Season Eight has brought in an average of $88 million dollars PER EPISODE from HBO subscriptions.
- Jon Snow is the rightful heir to the throne when it comes to earnings, being responsible for $501 million of HBOs earnings based on his time on screen across all eight seasons.
- When looking at which characters have earned the most for HBO per minute on screen, Grey Worm tops the list, earning $953,378 for every minute on screen.